Skip to main content

The Truth Will Set You Free


Truth is a, beautifully, frightful thing. You will likely have heard the saying 'The truth shall set you free' a few times in your life. I have experienced this freedom many times in my life and I cherish those moments because truth really does set you free. Free from what? Well, lets face it; we are all pretty messed up. If you've read this blog in the past then you'll know that I have some pieces from my life that I am not proud of, but revealing the truth about the ugly has in fact brought a makeover. Truth frees us from fear, doubt, feelings of inadequacy, shame, anger, the list can go on. I believe that all of those negative emotions that I just mentioned are a call back to truth. A call back to the life we were created to live. Let me speak from experience for a moment. When I conduct myself in a manner that brings forth feelings of shame and fear it is always inevitable that along with those emotions come a strong conviction to speak the truth about my own human condition. I've already stated that I think humans are messed up. Don't try and kid yourself here either. This is part of being truthful. I must be accepting of the fact that I am a man who is selfish and I mess up daily because of it. I would encourage you to accept that reality for yourself on a daily basis as well. There's another saying 'Truth hurts'. You won't get freedom without a little, or a lot, of pain.
It is important for us to know that the saying 'the truth shall set you free' actually comes from the mouth of Jesus Christ as recorded by John in his account of Jesus' life. You can find it in John 8:32 which says 'you will know the truth, and that truth will give you freedom.' What is Jesus talking about here? The truth will set you free? If you read the whole of John chapter 8 you will see that Jesus is actually taking about himself. Jesus is claiming to the people that he is in fact the truth and that through himself all creation will be set free!

"I am the light that shines through the cosmos; if you walk with Me, you will thrive in the nourishing light that gives life and will not know darkness" - John 8:12

Throughout this chapter Jesus speaks about His divine affiliation with God the Father and the truth that HE, Jesus, embodies. Freedom is found in truth and truth is found in Jesus Christ because of what He would do through His death on the cross.

It is note worthy that in Chapter 8 of John a women found to be having a marital affair is brought to Jesus, by the pharisees, to be condemned for her wrongdoing in the eyes of the Mosaic Law (10 Commandments). The Pharisees were hoping that Jesus would take mercy on this women and not have her killed for her crimes against the Mosaic law. Rather then tell the Pharisees that she was not to be killed he instead said "Let the first stone be thrown by the one among you who has not sinned." He reminded the Pharisees and the crowd watching that no one is considered pure under God's Law. Everyone is condemned to death and eventually everyone leaves and the women is spared. As we have seen, He continues in the chapter to teach of the freedom that is found in truth about God as revealed through Jesus; Himself.  If you want to know freedom come to me, Jesus says. If you want to know what truth is come to me, Jesus says.

So, when I have those moments in my day where I feel an overflow of fear, shame, anger, etc and at the same time I feel that prompting to be truthful with myself about my sinfulness I must accept that I am messed up and then I must take the appropriate steps towards truth which is where freedom is found. It's that place where all my 'messed up' is made glorious. I must step towards Jesus, the author of all things true, and receive my makeover. Those steps are scary. They often feel like baby steps for me, but they get larger and quicker over time and eventually, I have hope, that they become long, sprinters strides and I run with anticipation to the freedom found in truth. And then here is the truly remarkable part of the Jesus story! Even when I cannot bring myself to make those steps forward towards Jesus He waits. And He waits. And He Waits. He waits because He loves and he knows who you truly are. He already dealt with all your mess on the day of His agonizing crucifixion so that all of creation could be reconciled to God. Our sins are paid for with the life of Jesus Christ and "if we hear his voice and abide in His word..." you are truly free. You are made perfect. May we all hear his voice and abide in his word more and more each and every day and step into the life that we were created to live.

For His Kingdom.

Comments

  1. Found your blog by facebook stalking.. I'm friends with Sarah K :P
    Thanks for posting honest self-reflection that glorifies God!
    I LOVE THAT JESUS IS REAL.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Perpetual

Perpetual This word has become a motto for me. Life does not stop for anyone. It can be incredibly joyful or incredibly agonising but life does not stop. Life is perpetual. As I’ve grown I have been in many moments where I’ve wished that life would simply stop, relax, slow down, Chill out! But it never does. It is always demanding something more from me. Life is perpetual and it demands growth. Growth is uncomfortable. Growth is also the one constant that we can either embrace or run away from. We can either see the beauty within the discomfort of pain or we can retreat into ourselves and hope that the demand of growth in ourselves just leaves us alone. I’m telling you that it will never happen. The universe is continually expanding - growing - and you are a part of that growth whether you want to experience it or not. If you do not want to experience it you will live an unfulfilled life of selfishness and fear. If you will choose to accept this reality and embrace the dis

The Marriage Journey

Three years ago today I got married. Most certainly the best day of my life. There is something almost unbelievable about the commitment of marriage. Making the choice to be intimately involved with someone else’s life forever is a truly amazing commitment and even today when I sit down, quiet myself, and think about what it has meant to me thus far it is difficult to comprehend or put into words. My wife has made that same commitment to me and the power and weight behind that reality is something that brings forth a deep emotional response. I am blessed beyond what I could have imagined. My wife is named Sarah. She is a tall, smokin’ hot, redhead on the outside and a fiercely stubborn, incredibly passionate and creative woman on the inside who knows how to love and care for others more deeply than anyone else that I have been close to in my life. Many people have told me that I have a deeply caring nature about me and I do believe that is one of my giftings but the depth of

The Challenge of Choice

Think of all the things you do on a daily basis. The food you eat The words you say The clothes you wear The way you drive to work, or walk, or bike The time you get up and go to sleep The way you style your hair Obviously the list is endless. Now think of all of the things above as choices that you’ve made. In actuality that is what they are - Choices. You aren’t always making those choices consciously but you are or you have made those choices and all of those choices you make each day are contributing to a specific result. Eat the donut instead of the apple on a regular basis and what is going to happen to your body? Say words from a place of selfish frustration instead of a place of loving care and what will happen to your relationships? This blog I am writing is a result of a choice that I made earlier in the day. I am currently working on a certification to increase my education. It is a self paced, online, learning system which leaves all of the motivatio